It’s that time of year! Enjoy this healthy version of Football Sunday Supper Chipotle Chili and make everyone happy!
Chipotle Chili for Football Sunday Suppers
- ½ cup Sweet Onion
- 1 Poblano Pepper
- 1 lb Chipotle Chicken Sausage
- 1 can Tomato Sauce
- 1 cup Chicken Stock
- 1 cup Tomatoes
- 1 can Pinto Beans
- 1 cup Butternut Squash
- 1 tablespoon Chili Powder
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- ¼ teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- Saute diced onion and fresh poblano pepper in olive oil on medium-low heat until tender - about 10 minutes.
- In a separate saute pan, brown the fresh sausage over medium heat. Transfer to a colander to drain any fat that renders away. Add drained, cooked sausage to the onions and peppers. Add a dash of salt and red pepper flakes at this time.
- Add remaining ingredients to the pot and simmer on low heat for about an hour. Adjust seasonings to your tasted.
- Serve the chili with diced, fresh sweet onion and dollop of plain greek yogurt (or sour cream) with a spritz of fresh lime juice.
I make a summer chili and a winter chili and this one is the winter chili - the difference is the squash. I like to add vegetables to a pot of chili, and a winter squash such as butternut is perfect. The chicken sausage can be substituted by a healthy meat protein of choice (I love the chicken chipotle sausage) or it can be prepared as a vegetarian chili. Make a pot and have it for a packed lunch.