Breakfast on Sunday – or any day, really! I’ve been focused on breakfast as I’ve had company recently. Overnight company!! So fun!
This Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread is a celebration of the idea that YES YOU CAN enjoy wonderful treats while maintaining a healthy diet and good nutrition.
My Favorite Whole Wheat Zucchini Bread has been with me a loooong time! I can’t remember how long or where I got the original recipe. and then, of course, I tweaked it to suit myself along the way. You can simplify the ingredients list if you want or if you do not have something called for on hand. Make it to suit yourself. It is so moist and surprisingly light for being made with whole wheat flour. It is divine with your morning coffee or tea. No guilt.
Ginger. Lemon. Cardamom. Walnuts. Poppy Seeds. Cinnamon. Curry Powder. All good for you and deliciously aromatic.
It has a long list of beautiful ingredients. It’s worth it. I promise. At least once before the summer gardens are gone.
The recipe makes two loaves, so enjoy one and share one… or stash one in the freezer for the next time you have guests overnight. It will make you like a rockstar to your guests.
Soon this zucchini bread will be a memory of the goodness of summer.
- ½ cup unsalted butter
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1½ teaspoon aluminum-free baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 3 cup grated zucchini
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- ½ cup candied ginger
- zest of 2 lemons
- ⅓ cup poppy seeds
- Cream butter and sugars in bowl of mixer.
- Add eggs, one at a time and mix until blended.
- Mix in the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and spices.
- Add the dry ingredients to the bowl of the mixer and mix together just until combined.
- Stir in the grated zucchini, walnuts, citrus peel, ginger and poppy seeds.
- Add the bread batter to two buttered and floured one pound loaf pans, and bake at 350 for 45-50 minutes.