Spring! It’s almost here and we are ready for a shift on the dinner table! This salad does just that. Serve this beautiful spring salad alongside a roast chicken and some roasted baby new potatoes with rosemary and you have a classic farmer’s market menu. Have you heard the expression “spring chicken”? It refers to a smaller size bird that used to only be available in the spring.
Roasting beets could not be easier. Wash and wrap in a parchment lined foil pouch (I like to avoid having food in contact with aluminum foil if I can). Roast the beets at 350° until a fork-resistant tender – depending on size it should be about 25-30 minutes. Cool and the skin will slip off easily with the edge of a spoon. Go ahead and roast a few – they are great all week in your menus.
A light vinaigrette is so easy to make as needed – shallots, dijon mustard, salt and freshly cracked pepper, red wine vinegar and olive oil.
Roasted Beets, Sugar Snaps, Radishes, Carrots, Walnuts, Goat Cheese and Spring Lettuce combine to bring your taste buds to the helm of spring!
Fill your produce drawer with these ingredients and find many ways to bring the spring season to life in your kitchen right now.
- 1 large Roasted Beet
- 2-3 Sliced Radishes
- ¼ lb. Sugar Snap Peas
- ¼ medium Red Onion
- 1 carrot, shredded
- ½ lb. Spring Lettuce Mix
- ¼ c. Roasted Walnuts
- 2 oz. Goat Cheese Crumbles
- Soak and rinse the spring lettuce and spin and drain.
- Rinse the beets and wrap with parchment paper and foil. Roast at 350° for 25 minutes until fork tender. Cool the beets and peel and dice.
- Parboil the sugar snap peas in salted water for 2 minutes, then plunge in ice water to shock the bright green color and crispness to them.
- Thinly slice onion and radishes.
- Toast walnuts on a warm cast iron skillet until fragrant - about 1 minute.
- Combine the salad ingredients and lightly dress with the simple vinaigrette.
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 1 tsp. dijon mustard
- ¼ c. red wine vinegar
- ½ c. extra virgin olive oil
- ½ tsp. sea salt
- ⅛ tsp. freshly cracked black pepper
- Combine ingredients and serve.