It’s National Whole Grains Day! I know, I know… there is a day for everything. But the good news is a special day gives us a reason to pause and consider an idea or event in more intimate detail. I’m celebrating National Whole Grains Day because… drumroll… I am writing my first ebook on Clean Eating! In doing my research, I found the Oldways Whole Grains Council! I believe the WGC came up with the idea and the day to celebrate their cause and I support it. Why? Because there is reason to support knowledge and research into the nutritional and health benefits of eating whole foods – and especially whole grains.
Our knowledge of whole foods clean eating is expanding and becoming more mainstream! Yes!!! This is such a good thing. The more we know about the health benefits of eating whole foods, the better choices we will make and the easier clean eating becomes. And organizations like the Whole Grains Council help to inform us as consumers, but also suppliers of grocery items as well as chefs and restauranteurs. This can only lead to the expansion of healthy food choices and again, make clean eating that much easier.
So to celebrate eating a healthy whole foods diet and to increase awareness of ways to do so, I suggest this beautiful whole grains salad Sprouted Grain Salad with Roasted Fennel, Beet, and Citrus Vinaigrette.
The grain I am using is a sprouted Brown Rice Millet and Quinoa Blend from Nature’s Healthy Choice, but you can make this salad with your grain of choice (experimentation encouraged!).
- 1 cup Sprouted Brown Rice, Millet and Quinoa (Nature's Healthy Choice) or a grain of your choice.
- 2 cups Vegetable Stock
- 1 large Fennel Bulb - halved, cored and sliced
- 1 large or 2 smaller Beets - peeled and cut into ½ inch cubes
- 2 Oranges - peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 large Avocado - peeled and cut into cubes
- ½ cup Walnuts, toasted
- ¼ c. Olive Oil
- 2 Tbsp Orange Juice
- 1 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 tsp Dijon Mustard
- sea salt and cracked pepper to season
- Pre-heat oven to 350°.
- Place sliced fennel on a baking sheet, Wrap beets in parchment paper and aluminum foil and place on a pan in the oven. Drizzle and coat the fennel with olive oil and roast in the oven until tender and fennel starts to color a bit. Sprinkle with a dash of sea salt and drizzle with 1 Tbsp orange juice when they come out of the oven.
- While the vegetables are roasting, bring 2 cups vegetable stock to boil in a saucepan. Add the grain mixture, cover, reduce the heat to low and simmer until fluffy and all liquid is absorbed - about 20-25 minutes. Remove the lid and fluff the grain with a fork and transfer to a shallow bowl and allow to cool.
- Make the dressing by combining mustard, orange juice, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Combine all ingredients and stir. Add salad vinaigrette just before serving.