Roasted chicken breast is made into a completely new and colorful dish that is appetizing and healthy using ingredients from your seasonal vegetable box. Leftovers are not just leftovers anymore!
– 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
– 1 large onion cut into thin half moons
– 2 yellow squash, cut into ¼ inch half moons
– ¾ cup organic chicken broth
– Roasted Chicken breast, torn into bite-size pieces
– 1 small bunch broccoli, washed and cut into fleurettes, remove tough butt edge of stems, peel and half lengthwise(if large half again lengthwise) Do not cut the fleurette too small – they will fall apart when blanched. You can cut them into smaller bite-size pieces after they have been blanched.
– Fettuccine Whole Wheat (if you want you can leave out the pasta and have the meal as a stew, with some whole grain bread)
- Heat oil in large skillet over medium heat. Add onions and stir to coat the onions in the oil.
When the onions begin to wilt, lower temperature to medium low and allow to cook for 20 – 25 minutes longer, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile blanch the broccoli in a large pot of salted boiling water. After 3 – 5 minutes, when broccoli is tender but not mushy, remove broccoli with a slotted spoon or strainer and re use the cooking water to cook the pasta if desired. Set broccoli aside.
Bring pot of water back to a boil. Add fettuccine and cook according to instructions on package.
Save a cup of pasta water) Drain and set aside.
After 25 minutes add yellow squash to caramelized onions and stir to coat well. Cook 2 – 3 minutes.
Add chicken and chicken broth and simmer about 5 minutes. If serving without pasta, season with salt and pepper and serve with freshly grated parmesan cheese.
Add fettuccine if using and stir to coat well with chicken and vegetables, adding a tablespoon or so of pasta water if needed. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Serve immediately with freshly grated parmesan cheese.